Vincent G. Moscardelli
Amercan Government and Politics, Congressional Politics, and Political Leadership
Ph.D. Emory University
Vin Moscardelli’s research and teaching interests include Congress, congressional elections, election reform in the states, and political leadership. His work on these topics has appeared in numerous outlets, including The Journal of Politics, Polity, State Politics and Policy Quarterly, American Politics Research, Congress and the Presidency, Social Science Quarterly, and Social Networks.
Moscardelli regularly provides expert commentary on state and national politics for print, radio, and Internet news outlets with local, regional, and national audiences, including The Hartford Courant, Connecticut Magazine, The Boston Globe, CTMirror.com, Investor’s Business Daily, The Wall Street Journal, CNN.com, CQ’s Politics Daily, National Journal, WNPR, WFCR, WAMC, ABC News Radio, and Public Radio International.
In 2003-04, he served as an American Political Science Association Congressional Fellow in the office of United States Senator Richard J. Durbin. In 2003, he was named “Best Chapter Advisor” by Pi Sigma Alpha, the national political science honor society. He currently serves on the editorial board of Congress and the Presidency: A Journal of Capital Studies. He arrived at the University of Connecticut in 2008.
- Moscardelli, Vincent G., and Eric McGhee. Forthcoming. “Institutional Choices and Member Power in the Canadian Parliament and the United States House of Representatives.” American Review of Canadian Studies. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02722011.2015.1038284
- Desmarais, Bruce A., Vincent G. Moscardelli, Brian Schaffner, and Michael Kowal. 2015. “Measuring Legislative Collaboration: The Senate Press Events Network.” Social Networks 40.1(Jan): 43-54. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378873314000483
- Praino, Rodrigo, Daniel Stockemer, and Vincent G. Moscardelli. 2013. “The Lingering Effect of Scandal in Congressional Elections: Incumbents, Challengers, and Voters.” Social Science Quarterly 94.4(December): 1045-1061. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ssqu.12046/abstract
- Moscardelli, Vincent G. 2010. “Harry Reid and Health Care Reform in the Senate: Transactional Leadership in a Transformational Moment?” The Forum 8.1(Winter), Article 2: 1-24. http://dx.doi.org/10.2202/1540-8884.1362
- Palazzolo, Daniel J., Vincent G. Moscardelli, Meredith Patrick, and Doug Rubin. 2008. “Election Reform After HAVA: Voter Verification in Congress and the States.” Publius: The Journal of Federalism 38.3(Summer): 515-37. http://www.jstor.org/stable/20184984
- Becker, Lawrence, and Vincent G. Moscardelli. 2008. “Congressional Leadership on the Front Lines: Committee Chairs, Electoral Security, and Ideology.” PS: Political Science and Politics 50.1(January): 77-82. http://www.jstor.org/stable/20452113
- Moscardelli, Vincent G., and Lawrence A. Becker. 2007. “Not On Your (Half) Life: The Political Geography of Nuclear Waste Disposal.” Congress and the Presidency 34.1(Spring): 55-77. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/07343460709507667
- Moscardelli, Vincent G., and Moshe Haspel. 2007. “Campaign Finance Reform as Institutional Choice: Party Difference in the Vote to Ban Soft Money.” American Politics Research 35.1(January): 79-102. http://apr.sagepub.com/content/35/1/79
- Palazzolo, Daniel J., and Vincent G. Moscardelli. 2006. “Policy Crisis and Political Leadership: Election Law Reform in the States After the 2000 Presidential Election.” State Politics and Policy Quarterly 6.3(Fall): 300-321. http://www.jstor.org/stable/41289392
Teaching and Research
Click here for additional research and teaching resources, including course syllabi and replication datasets.