Charles R. Venator Santiago
Latino/a Politics, Public Law, Political Theory
Charles R. Venator-Santiago (Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Massachusetts, 2002) is an associate professor with a joint appointment in the Department of Political Science and El Instituto: Institute for Latina/o, Caribbean and Latin American Studies.
- Findings from the Hartford Foundation for Public Giving Survey on Impact of Post-Maria Displacement of Puerto Ricans and U.S. Virgin Islanders on Households in the Greater Hartford Region, February-May 2018.
- Report a joint effort between Prof. Venator Santiago and Carlos Vargas Ramos (CENTRO, Hunter College, CUNY)
- Hostages of Empire: A Short History of the Extension of U.S. Citizenship to Puerto Rico, 1898 to the Present/Rehenes del imperio: Breve historia de la extension de la ciudadanía estadounidense a Puerto Rico, 1898 al presente (Editorial Universidad del Este, forthcoming 2018).
- Puerto Rico and the Origins of U.S. Global Empire: The Disembodied Shade (Routledge, 2015) (Reviewed and Recommended by CHOICE: http://bit.ly/1Qh9frH)
- with Barry Glick and William Sturgeon. No Time To Play: Youthful Offenders In Adult Correctional Systems (American Correctional Association, 1998).
Articles of Note
- “Are Puerto Ricans Really American Citizens?” The Conversation (hyperlink: https://theconversation.com/are-puerto-ricans-really-american-citizens-73723)
- “Territorial Citizenship Today: Four Interpretations” PS: Political Science and Politics 50 (2) (April 2017): 515-519. (U.S.) (Political Science)
- “A Note on Jesús T. Piñero and the Polemics of U.S. Citizenship for Puerto Ricans During the Decade of 1940,” Ámbito de Encuentros 9 (2) (2016): 7-22. (Puerto Rico) (Interdisciplinary)
- “Extending Citizenship to Puerto Rico, The Three Traditions of Inclusive Exclusion,” CENTRO: Journal of Puerto Rican Studies 25 (1) (2013): 50-75. (U.S.) (Puerto Rican Studies)
- “Marriage and the Expatriation of Puerto Rican Women: A Note on the Extension of the Cable Act of 1922 to Puerto Rico,” Latino(a) Research Review 8 (1-2) (2012): 231-246. (U.S.) (Latino Studies)
- UConn Expert’s Database (hyperlink: http://communicationswp.dev.uconn.edu/communications/experts/?expert=charles.venatorsantiagophd)